Thursday, 9 February 2012

Growing out Your Eyebrows

Hey!
I've been asked to do this post a few times and have finally got around to getting it typed up!


Eyebrows in my opinion are a fundamental feature to look after and maintain. 
As getting the right shape width and arch can do wonders for your face ,the same way wrong shape can do equal amounts of damage.
Getting it right balances out the proportions of your face, really frames and opens up your eyes and in turn can alter the look of your face as a whole. 
The slightest alteration in shape,positioning and arch can alter your face completely and even affect how you and your mood is perceived..i think we're all too familiar with the over plucked surprise look!


Here is an example of the effects different shapes can have, both good and bad on christina aguilera (i thought she would be the perfect example as she has gone from one extreme to another being hair strand thin eyebrows to full arches)





As you can see this wasn't the most flattering of choices for christina , her eyebrows are far to thin and in turn (in my opinion) makes her face look wider and unbalances the proportions of her face making the bottom half of her face in terms of features look larger, where as her forehead looks tiny!


Moving on from her dirty days onto her gorgeous pin up/marilyn monroe-esque phase ,which was my favourite! I thought she looked her best with this particular look:




As you can see she has let her eyebrows grow back a lot thicker and arched them quite high (maybe a little too high) which gives her that trademark marilyn look which is really feminine and seductive.
The added thickness to her brows balances out her features and even makes her face look slimmer!
In the top picture her eyebrows are penciled in a little too angular at the top but other then that i love these brows!


If you find yourself in the situation where you feel you have over plucked your brows ..dont worry we have all been there! all is not lost! My methods may be some what controversial but none the less they have worked for me and it doesn't include letting them just grow out wildly.


Firstly...and most importantly, step away from the tweezers. For the next few months you will not touch your brows ..at least in terms of plucking!




I am actually currently growing out my eyebrows, my eyebrows are thick but i want them fuller to look more natural!
I have left them to grow out and i use the 'concealer trick'* for as long as i can bare, which is usually a week.


Then comes the controversial part..i shave..yes shave the hairs that i know i dont need in my future desired shape,this is usually the hairs quite low down right on the brow bone. I am fully aware that shaving your eyebrows is like stepping onto forbidden land and is against all eyebrow grooming laws,but, it works for me.Let me explain...


The eyebrows will still look neat and they will grow back quickly letting you pick which hairs you need and dont for the new shape.


The idea is that: because with plucking, all of your hairs are never growing at the same rate, regrowth is always sparse and random, the logic behind my method is that you shave the hairs starting to grow until u see that your whole eyebrow is growing at the same rate.


I produced a diagram to demonstrate what i mean, hopefully it'll make more sense actually seeing what im trying (and failing lol) to explain in words...








Here i have tried to clearly label the different parts, the pink being your current thin brow, the larger stencil obviously being your thicker desired shape and the dark purple lines being your regrowth.


My idea is that you shave any hairs that come outside of the stenciled area and you slowly start penciling/shading your eyebrows in thicker as they start to grow out using the concealer trick* to hide any hairs that particularly stand out.






Now you get the gist of the method ,you keep doing this until you have enough regrowth to fill your desired stencil shape...






Keep this stage up until the regrowth (purple) is as long as or almost as long as the rest of your eyebrow hairs.


Keeping the light blue shaded area shaved until you have enough regrowth to feel comfortable to completely pencil in your desired shape, as if you dont have enough hair penciling it in thick straight away will look fake. 


NOW!  once you finally have your new fuller brows grown out ,this is the not so fun part, you now must leave the previously shaved regrowth to grow out for as long as is needed be able to have them plucked/waxed/threaded <my favourite, professionally. (I would say approx 1-2 weeks depending on how fast your eyebrows grow as everyone varies, approx 2 mm is usually enough)


When you go to the salon be sure to pencil in your desired shape prior to your visit so the beautician can have a clear guideline of how you want your eyebrows. Otherwise they will shape them how they want which is sometimes thinner then my liking! :(


During the Growth process i apply Castor Oil to my brows (and lashes) as it helps condition the hair and speed up growth. I apply this with a clean mascara wand. The Oil is very thick so a little goes a long way!


That is it! i mostly just hope this all made sense haha!!  and hope it helps any of you interested in this!


As always i hope you enjoyed the post and see you here soon!


With Love
Gina 
xox




*Concealer Method : For those who aren't aware of what this is, this is simply when you pencil in your brows and disguise regrowth by applying generous amounts of concealer (usually a shade or two lighter then your foundation with a flat brush) to the area with the unwanted hair.
This is a great way to hide regrowth in the early stages .It also really helps your eyebrow shape look clean and precise, even on normal days!







23 comments:

  1. What a great, very informative post! Thank you for sharing! I totally agree with what you said about Christina, she looks way better with fuller brows.
    xx, Kels

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! so happy you liked it :) xx

      Delete
  2. this is a really good guide! i'm an aesthetician and scary thin brows make me cringe.. great post xx

    My Blog: Boho Vanity

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you for the nice comment :) , me too im deffo not a fan of the thin brows ! xxx

      Delete
  3. I loved Cristina during her pin up days! Wow what a HUGE CHANGE! I love how her eyebrows look now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I found this soo helpful!! Thank you. Check out my post on how I do my brows and brow mapping :)

    www.absolutleybeautiful.blogspot.com xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. oooh this is so helpful!!! my eyebrows have been changed soo much from what they originally look like because of various threading ladies! im growing them out atm and attempting to secure the shape myself!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm lucky with mine, I wax them every 5 weeks, which is just a basic tidy up :) I'm lucky :) My Mum's are over plucked from years ago! Thankfully I didn't over do mine.

    http://lucyywrites01.blogspot.com
    Lucy
    x

    ReplyDelete
  7. there is really nothing more ageing than overplugged eyebrows.... great post and loads of good tips... thanks for sharing! x Marina

    ReplyDelete
  8. You have won a Blog Award, check it out :) http://vanessabeautyfix.blogspot.com/2012/02/versatile-blogger-award.html xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great post! I have had my eyebrows waxed once and i've never even plucked my eyebrows before as i have the lightest eyebrows in the world so you can barely see them! I keep meaning to book an appointment to get them tinted and after this post i'm definately going to be on the phone making that appointment so i can have nice eyebrows!

    Georgie <3

    ReplyDelete
  10. i love it. for you so beautiful your eyebrows, I want one like that! (hungarian girl)

    ReplyDelete
  11. loved reading this post found it really helpful

    Check out my Mac lipstick giveaway! Win the MAc lipstick of your choice
    http://lolainthelounge.blogspot.com/2012/02/mac-lipstick-giveaway.html

    x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Loved your post on brows. I had thin brows even when I was much younger and spent a long time on my eyes getting ready to go out. I heard about Neubrow from a friend and decided to try it - I had never heard of a brow thickener. I LOVE my brows. You can read up on Neubrow at www.skinresearchlabs.com. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Awesome post!
    May I add, for anyone reading who may be unaware...do make sure you get a pack of eyebrow shavers, do not try to use a regular old razor...how many teenagers have I seen with half an eyebrow! LOL!

    http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-FLFGS-UqEeU/UH6r_KwQ7sI/AAAAAAAAF2w/cFLMNgNp1fE/s1600/eyebrow+shaver.jpg

    ReplyDelete
  14. Awesome post!
    May I add, for anyone reading who may be unaware...do make sure you get a pack of eyebrow shavers, do not try to use a regular old razor...how many teenagers have I seen with half an eyebrow! LOL!

    http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-FLFGS-UqEeU/UH6r_KwQ7sI/AAAAAAAAF2w/cFLMNgNp1fE/s1600/eyebrow+shaver.jpg

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great information shared...Keep sharing more tips..
    eyebrows lifting

    ReplyDelete
  16. You have inspired me! I've been shaving my tops off for so long I can't remember, I'm 35 btw. I am so so conscious of them, so I'm going to do this!!! It's winter so hats could help me out haha!

    ReplyDelete
  17. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Three years on Final Touch Brows is presently the universes biggest scope of False Eyebrows, accessible in more than 150 salons crosswise over Australia and NZ and also salons in the Middle East. Not just has Danielle Kurukchi made a line of temples items to upgrade anybody's foreheads however is eminent for making Australia's initial 100% human hair, high quality false eyebrows for men and ladies who have shockingly lost their temples because of ailment and medicinal treatment. The New York Times, Elle.com, Cosmopolitan.com, Sunday STYLE, Primped.com.au and a large group of other neighborhood print and online distributions highlighted Final Touch Brows items and were recorded as leading one of Australia's most inventive items.

    ReplyDelete
  19. You got a really useful blog I have been here reading for about half an hour. I am a newbie and your post is valuable for me.
    manicure

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi

    Nic e blog and good information
    Here, you will be greeted with a host of spa & beauty treatments, along with creative & innovative services, for you to look good & feel even better!

    RE- Salons & Spas continues UAE expansion with launch of third and fourth outlets in Dubai Internet City and Dubai Marina.

    We are expertise in Beauty and Spas at Dubai for home services and best offer.

    eyebrow makup in internet city
    *Home Spas Dubai
    *Facial in dubai
    *Salon and spa in dubai
    *Home spa dubai
    *Salons and spa
    *Beauty and spas Dubai Internet City

    ReplyDelete